Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Revelation

The night Steve and I decided to quit, he said something that made everything clear. "Playing WoW is like going to a bar and hanging out with a bunch of alcoholics."

Isn't that the absolute truth?! Everyone supports you and encourages you to go on. We surrounded ourselves with junkies. We let "casual" players into our guild because we wanted a friendly environment for everyone...but...the people we hung out with were the hard-core addicts like ourselves.

We used to know this woman from another guild that we left because they weren't serious enough about raiding. We thought she was pathetic because she had so many capped characters and was trying to do achievements on all of them. Not long ago I saw her running around on one of her toons and I was horrified to realize that even though I wasn't trying to get "achies" on all of my toons, I had already raised three of my five 80s up to 85, one of them was raid ready and the other one was almost as well geared. I had to cringe because I know that if I'd looked into it, I would have found that my obsessive playing had eclipsed hers, just in different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment