Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Changing of the Guard

It's finally happening. We wrote our goodbyes today on our guild forums and we'll be turning over the leadership tomorrow. Here are our letters:

This one is from Steve, representing both of us:
Boss Man No More

Janet and I have decided to stop playing Wow indefinitely.

There are a ton of reasons, some to do with the game and others are real life issues. With the economy the way it is, we've seen the profitability of our business drop to about half. This means a lot more work for a lot less income.

All in all, we really just need to take the countless hours we pour into this game and spend them on things that are more productive. Janet and I figure we spend a minimum of 30 hours a week in game each, often a lot more. Experience has shown that reducing our time in game won't work as we just don't seem to have the disipline to keep it reasonable.

Addicts? Oh yeah.

I've spoken with several key people in the guild about the continuation of the guild and getting raiding back on track. They, and I, believe the best course is to promote Sorat to Guild Leader. He's had a lot of experience in leading guilds, raids and gathering people for groups. My perception is that he's very well liked and respected. Kalbaras and Sorat have been friends for a long time and have seen guilds through leadership transitions before. Kalbaras will be a key member in the new leadership and between these two I'm certain the guild will do great.

I hope you will all welcome this change and become part of the foundation of the new and continuing Dead Man's Party.

You won't likely see much of Janet and I in game. Our accounts expire March 5th and our new work will be taking most of our time. Certainly after March 5th we'll be completely gone. However we will stop by these forums occasionally and can address any posts or PM's regarding our leaving the game.

In short though, for the last 6 months we've been looking into other/additional work and we've finally found some. We're returning to design work as a side job, specifically web and print design. Both of us have many years experience in the field. We've got a couple projects already and hope they go well.

So we'll miss you all an awful lot but we've got to have this "game time" back to make a real go of the new endevour. In time things may change and you may see us back as casual players. But for now it's good bye to all of you, our good friends.

------------------------
This one is from me:
Goodbye Everyone! We will miss you sooooo much!

Steve and I have had so much fun with all of you and we are proud to be able to say this has been the best guild we've ever been in, filled with the very best people we know. We've shared so many adventures together and the memories we have will never be forgotten.

Thanks for the good times. It will be hard not to chat with you all every day, but you will be in our thoughts. We may swoop in and visit you in vent from time to time, so even though we'll be de-installing our games, we will be able to talk to you once in a while!

If you'd like to keep in touch with us via email, drop us a PM and we'll give you our email addresses.

*big hugs to each and every one of you*

Janet & Steve

3 comments:

  1. Hey there

    I just thought Id step by and say that Im doing the same as you, its been a month for me off of the game so far, and I think that the distance from it has done me a lot of good!

    Keep at it, don't let it run you over, I know you can do it!

    Ill keep watch.

    Regards,

    Nukey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! Congratulations on your new WoW free life! I made this decision a year ago, but I still feel the urge to play now and again. I read WoW Detox to kill any desire and I came across your post which linked to your blog. I am proud of you and Steve's decision and I know it will feel so good when you can look back in a month and realize all that you can accomplish with that extra 30 hours a week. Keep up the great work you two!

    -Jabberwocky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, both of you! :) I'm glad you're handling your transition well, Nukey, isn't it nice to have all that extra time to do other things?!

    Jabberwocky, thanks for joining as a follower, and congratulations on staying "clean" for a year and counting! WOOT! *high five* Thanks for your encouragement and good wishes, I hope you enjoy coming by to see how things are going around here! :)

    ReplyDelete