Saturday, February 26, 2011

Another Confession

I have been keeping tabs on our guild's ascent up the realm ranks as our two raiding groups begin progressing through the content. I go to WoW Progress and check on the guild's status and have been excited to see them move up the ranks in the past couple of weeks from no position (they hadn't downed any bosses yet) all the way down to #23 on the realm for 10 man content. They are 5/12 now and are doing a great job flying through the ranks and I'm having a great time watching from the sidelines.

Is that wrong? I can honestly say that I don't have any interest to play WoW. However, I am proud of Dead Man's Party. I think our guild has a lot of really strong players and Steve and I have always felt good about bringing them together and being part of this successful guild. Before, we were part of the success. I have no more interest in raiding or playing anymore, but I do enjoy seeing our guild's success and I want them to do well.

Our guild has a strong belief that we have what it takes to be one of the top five Horde guilds on the realm, and with Wrath of the Lich King, we rose to #9 after getting a very late start, forming a new guild, recruiting, etc. The consensus was that if we had a faster start with Cataclysm, that we'd rise to the top 5 fairly fast.

That is where my interest is coming from. I want to see how they do. I don't want to be part of it, I just want to watch! :D

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but maybe I'm wrong? Leave a comment with your thoughts if you have an opinion because I'd like to know if I'm full of crap or if it's ok to have a sideline interest in our guild's progress up the ranks.

4 comments:

  1. This is Boo again. I see no harm in it, especially with all the time, thought, emotional energy, and work you put into building up a guild. It ain't easy! Sorta like planting a garden or remodeling a house: once you leave either one behind, you still drive by to see how it's doing. We just gotta avoid the temptation to stop the car and go back in. :)

    Story from my cousin: she bought a very nicely remodeled house, then made some changes herself. The previous owners were very friendly and came back once a year to see the house because they missed it, but the wife always left in tears because of the changes. So, better to just drive by and not be brought down by anything that's changed, because things are bound to change from what they were and how you built them up to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it is irresistible to keep tabs on their progress. Our guild ranked 38 on the realm when we left. The two raid groups were just about to head out at that point and our leaving really put a horrible wrench in the works for our group and they aren't doing well because of it :( but the other group flew out of the starting gates in great stride. We've watched over the past month as they've gone from 38 to 29...25...23...21...and just a couple of days ago, 19!! YAYY!!

    As for being brought down by changes, there's one person who is linked with me on Facebook. This guy is a busybody and the other day he saw me on and started chatting with me, letting me know how GREAT their team was doing, and WHAT A BUMMER it was that (our team) was doing so badly...but it's not important because you guys need to do what's important...blah blah blah. Talk about being subversive. And tooting his own horn. I wanted to kick him in the whatnots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! That's another good reason to not go back. It's not a game to many people, it's a freaking COMMITMENT. Dang, you are LETTING PEOPLE DOWN! That's how they make you feel about this game where you move a mouse and type on your keyboard and kill imaginary things with an imaginary version of yourself. Why should we feel "committed" to that?

    ~ Boo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny how you make yourself believe that you NEED to play because if you don't, you're going to ruin the game for others. Fact is, if you sign on to a raiding team that's been working on content, yes, you will be letting them down. That's one of the reasons we stopped playing when we did. Had we started our 10 man for Cata, we wouldn't have been able to just ditch our team. As it is...our leaving did hurt our team, but well...they understood and we gave them time to replace us. It's their job to make the replacements work, or...replace them. Not our job anymore, sorry to say. Glad to say too...so glad to be out of that commitment.

    ReplyDelete