Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Springtime is on its way!

This morning when I got up, I looked out the kitchen window to see what the party scene was like at the bird feeders. Juncos all over the place! Those birds are so feisty, you should see them arguing! :)

Scrub Jay, image found on Deric Bownd's Blog

We're getting new birds every day now! A few days ago I heard and then saw a Scrub Jay! Two days ago I saw one of our favorite birds, a Nut Hatch! We like to call them "Hut-Hut Birds" because they land anywhere on the feeder and run all over it, including straight down the sides of the feeder. They look left, right, run this way, grab a seed, and zoom off again. They remind us of the SWAT team in The Blues Brothers!

This is a Hut-Hut Bird...er...a Nuthatch! I got this image off the web because I can't find a good one from our collection.

Today as I was grinning at the Juncos, I saw a Lark Sparrow and then a House Finch! House finches are such beautiful birds with their fiery breasts! Below are a couple of pictures we took a couple of years ago.

Isn't this a beautiful bird?! Although I believe it's a House Finch, it could also be a Cassin's or Purple Finch. They are so similar I can't tell them apart.

I couldn't resist putting up this image too! "This is my seed!"

This is a Lark Sparrow, an image I found online. The one on our feeder was shoveling food into its beak as fast as it could!

No comments:

Post a Comment