Thursday, March 17, 2011

Movie: WALL-E

Gotta love Pixar for slick animation. We hadn't seen WALL-E until now and it was a very nice surprise, full of laughs and wonderful moments. To be honest, I don't think it was quite as awesome as some of their other movies but it was really good. My only real issue was that I am used the usual Pixar film where you meet and get to know many characters extremely well. This movie focused on just two characters with a number of sub-characters to fill in here and there; WALL-E, of course, was the spotlight most of the time.

That being said, WALL-E was an AMAZING character. From my point of view, it appears that they took all the effort used in other films for fleshing out a host of equally-weighted co-stars and they poured it all into WALL-E's personality. He basically couldn't talk, so everything needed to be conveyed by gesture, sound, and expression. The cool thing about this is that it occurred to me that little kids would be able to understand this movie easily because there is so much less language than other films. I loved WALL-E and I thought they did an incredible job with him!

I was pleased to see that WALL-E got the Academy Award for Best Animated Film (though it really didn't have much competition with only two other entries). It was a fine film, but I would have to say that if it were compared to other Pixar films, I expect it wouldn't be at the top of the list--only because the other films had more characters you got to know better. I just wanted MORE!

At the end of the movie, we noticed that the film was dedicated to Justin Wright, and we wondered who it was. I looked him up on Wikipedia and found a very touching story about a man who died doing something he loved. I feel sad that this talented man died at such a young age, but how lucky he is to be immortal because his work will be loved forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment