Monday, March 14, 2011

A Note to WoW Detox Visitors!

I just wanted to say hi and thank you for visiting my blog! You'll notice that I have moved on very successfully from playing WoW, so there aren't many posts about the game these days. I am now concentrating on brushing up on my design skills as my husband and I head back to our print and web design careers and are planning to leave our failing company and begin a new web and print design company.

Please feel free to leave comments or questions about your gaming addiction--I'd love to help if I can!

This blog is now more of a public journal of my daily adventures, so you'll find posts and pictures about my daily routine and about movies I've watched and things I'm thinking about. Hopefully it's interesting! If you leave any comments I'll see them and will reply to them as well.

For those of you who have been able to stop playing, CONGRATULATIONS!! It's not easy to do and you should feel really proud of yourself. For those of you who are trying to stop but are having trouble, please leave me a comment if you want, maybe I can give you some advice.

I would like to think that I'm making a good example of a success story. I don't have any desire to play anymore and believe me, I was seriously addicted to WoW. I can safely say I'll never play WoW again. All I really needed to do was to STOP and STAY AWAY for a while and it was enough.

There really are so many great things to do with your time. Personally, I don't even play computer games anymore except for Spider Solitaire. It's just so much more fun to do ANYTHING else! :)

Anyway, I hope you enjoy my blog! And good luck to each of you!

5 comments:

  1. Yeah I too am determined to stay away from WoW and not look back (so far 2 weeks) but its very difficult atm since my mind still thinks of it and in my dreams...but the most important reason I quit was that my precious time lost was more tragic and irreplaceable that the money I spent on maintaining my subscription. The time I spent mindlessly grinding for gear and mats just to raid could have been spent meeting new friends and finding a better job and discovering the world around me and myself. But all is not lost as I have "awakened" and because I made this decision to quit their is still hope for me as well as others who have decided to leave this game and we can put our lives back together. This is my 3rd attempt at qutting and this time I know I will not return. In retrospect the game gave me a false sense of power with geared toons and also made me miserable because I felt obligated to maintain my toons...but my family kept reminding me that I have no future in this game...and their love woke me up...Thanks to WoW detox and your story to help motivate me to make that bold but bright step in the right direction I can pick up the pieces and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *BIG HUGS* Anony!! Three time's a charm! And don't beat up on yourself about what's past, because it only hurts you. At the time, you felt it was the right thing to do. Good for you that you're finally leaving for good. I know it's hard when you think about what you're leaving behind. I know what you mean about the sense of power. WoW can make you feel like you're a SUPERSTAR! But...they're only pixels on the screen. That uber leet character is part of who you are. Now all you have to do is bring it out in the real world. :)

    I hope you keep visiting, and please feel free to comment and let me know if you need help with some things you're feeling which are pulling at you to play again. It's not worth it. Your real life is so much better than a game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the story. I noticed your blog via wowdetox, and it's helped push me out the door from what I found once a very enjoyable game.

    For me, I think it was more the realization that my guild doesn't really give a shit about me (by large - I was just some convenient stand-in for teh purpulz) and that just... something rang out in my head, that I didn't really need to subject myself to this self-degrading treatment. I can do better than this, and go find people who actually give a damn rather than make me stand on ceremony like some 2nd class human being.


    Thanks for your story, it was inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anony! Thanks for visiting and for your comments!

    I'm really glad I was able to help you make a decision to leave WoW. I think it can be very destructive for many people, although I also think some people can have fun with it and not get sucked in. That ain't me, and it looks like that's not you either.

    Don't you just LOVE the feeling of merely being a necessary body to pave the way to the purple, achievement or whatever? Not. Although I didn't feel that so much in our guild, boy oh BOY did I feel that in the hard core raiding guilds we'd joined. Mostly, I was made to feel bad for not comparing favorably to others--at that time I was playing my rogue and was a good but not out of the ballpark uber leet player. People sure do let you know, don't they? I actually CRIED over raiding mishaps! I couldn't sleep at night because I was so worried about my performance. All over a stupid game. And I allowed other people playing that game to make me feel worthless! I look back and it seems amazing to me.

    How in the world did 40 man raids actually succeed I wonder? GAH! Mooo...I'm a cow. Moooo.

    Yep, you sure can do better than being a body in a raid! I hope you keep coming back and leaving comments...you're not a mindless entity to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I posted as Anony myself a couple of times before. Thank you for this blog it us quite helpful. It is nice to know I am not the only individual with similar feelings. Hope all is well for you.

    ReplyDelete