Friday, March 4, 2011

Movie: Inherit the Wind

Another classic black and white film, this time starring the talented Spencer Tracy. Spencer got several award nominations for his awesome performance, but unfortunately he didn't win. This movie is a fictionalized dramatization of the 1925 Scopes Monkey Trial, where the defendant was accused of breaking the law when he taught evolution in a Tennessee school. Talk about an explosive topic! Remember how I was saying in my review of Simon Birch that I don't mind religion if it's not shoved down my throat? This movie is full of people who are determined to do this, and it got pretty annoying after a while. And by the way, if I never hear "Give Me Some Old Time Religion" for the rest of my life it will be too soon! They played that tune about fifty thousand times throughout the film and I'm still cross-eyed from the monotony! In any event, this movie was very well acted and thought-provoking, but it's a little scary to know that teaching evolution is still frowned upon in many public schools of the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment