Saturday, March 5, 2011

Movie: Avatar

*bounces around happily* I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!! We saw it in 3-D in the theater, and I've seen it twice already at home. This is my third viewing and it just never gets old. Why it didn't get a JILLION awards at the Oscars is a prime reason the Academy Awards SUCK. I mean give me a BREAK. Every time I think about that it pisses me off.

While I'm flaring at the nostrils, let me say a few more things. Some people like to poo-poo this movie because they say "it's just like Pocohontas with Na'vi taking the place of the Indians." You know what? Pardon my language but I don't give a flaming rat's ass if the stories are "the same". A good story is a good story and you know what else? There are no more original stories. I think that people that poo-poo Avatar just have a bug up their butts and can't appreciate perfection because they're so wound up over their pursuit of criticism.

That's right. I think Avatar is a perfect movie. I cannot find a fault in it, and I would invite anyone to challenge that. Before you do though, ask yourself these questions: when you watched this movie, did you sit there LOOKING for problems all the way through or did you just sit back and enjoy this amazing story unfolding before you? Did you spend most of the movie analyzing scenes and thus missing large chunks of the film because you were trying to find holes? Did you go into this movie a skeptic with arms crossed over your chest, unwilling to suspend your disbelief? And finally, after the movie was over, did you spend lots of time picking apart things that bothered you and looking for problems?

A movie is not meant to be analyzed. It is meant to entertain. Of course every film can be criticized on some level because there is no such thing as absolute perfection. However, if you arrived at the end of a movie and you enjoyed it, the film did what it was supposed to. It entertained you. If you spent time afterwards picking every scene apart to find problems and then say the film sucked, you are being unfair as a reviewer.

That being said...I still say that Avatar is PERFECT! *bounces around happily* Before Avatar, the Lord of the Rings trilogy was at the top of my list for mind-blowing fantasy entertainment. Avatar is so totally amazing to me, I just wish that it would never end. I identify with so many aspects of this film! It makes me squeal with joy, gasp in amazement, laugh out loud with delight, scream in anger, and cry my heart out in sorrow. It's so beautiful and fascinating, and it seems so completely realistic that it's hard to believe that Pandora and the Na'vi only exist in a computer.

I loved this movie from the very first moment when Jake wakes up in his pod and two water droplets bump into each other in front of his eyes and become one. I was mesmerized when I saw his Na'vi avatar and wished I had one too. Then we meet Sigorney Weaver and omg she is just SO KICKASS! HUGE FAN of Sigorney here, love her to death! (Among a zillion of her killer quotable lines, how many times have you said this? "GET AWAY FROM HER, YOU BITCH!") Then Jake wakes up in his avatar and for the first time since he was injured, HE CAN RUN!! But you know when I fell in love with this film?

Jake reaches out to touch a sensitive plant on Pandora.

The part when Sigorney in her avatar, Jake and the others, land on Pandora and Jake finds himself wandering away from the group in boredom. He finds some enormous, weird plants that, upon being touched, disappear into the ground. He tries it again with another one and away it goes, and then the whole group of them disappear in a torrent with Jake looking on in amazed delight.

The reason I loved this so much is that I HAVE DONE THIS VERY THING!!! James Cameron filled Avatar with countless underwater references, and the enormous plants that Jake touched are real things underwater. They are very tiny, at most about an inch tall, and they are called Christmas Tree Worms. Take a look!

These beautiful worms come in nearly every color of the rainbow and can be found in many oceans in the world.

Christmas Tree Worms
really ARE worms, and what you see is how they filter food out of the water. They react EXACTLY the same too! If you wiggle a finger close to one, it instantly disappears into its calcium-lined tube! Steve and I love to find these beautiful creatures when we dive, and though we don't disturb all of them, it's really hard to resist cruising quietly over to them and creeping a finger closer and closer until....ZOOOP!!! Away it goes, and I squeal with glee through my regulator!

Anyway, I could go on and on about all the things I love so much about Avatar, but I think you get the point. It's a very cool flick and so fun to enjoy each and every time I get the chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment