Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Movie: Simon Birch

I saw this movie years ago and forgot most of it, except for the fact that I knew it was really good. Well, we got it on Netflix and to my surprise, Steve hadn't seen it. What a great film. It's about a boy who's affected by dwarfism and a family who doesn't care about him but it doesn't stop him from having the faith that "God has a plan for him", he has a wonderful best friend, and he has had a good life in his twelve years because of this. His question is, "What is God's plan for me?"

I really like the way this movie approaches religion. I am not religious but I also don't have a problem with people who are, as long as they don't wear it on their sleeve or rub it in my face. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and the fact is that religion is a really good thing for lots of people. When it comes to religion in movies, there's only so far I'll tolerate it before I figuratively fling the disk out the nearest window. Simon Birch is FULL of religion but it didn't bother me at all because it doesn't preach or try to convert and it doesn't send messages to viewers that if you're not religious, you're going to die in a fire.

The star of this movie is a very talented actor named Ian Michael Smith. I wanted to see what he's done since this movie so I looked him up on Google. I was so happy to find that he's grown up to become a student at MIT!! WOW! I found a really great interview that Roger Ebert had with him, and it's definitely worth a read! Enjoy! WAY TO GO IAN!!

No comments:

Post a Comment