Friday, March 4, 2011

Monster Insect

One of the people who follows my blog is a little freaked out about creepy-crawlies and it got me thinking about our trip to Costa Rica and the monster bugs down there. Tropical jungles are incredible to see--so full of flora and fauna that you can't take it all in.

One evening, Steve and I decided to take a walk on a nature path. As we were returning to our room, we noticed something very large flying around the exposed light bulb over our door. It was bonking and banging into it and we were like, "What the heck is that? A bird? A bat?" We approached cautiously and resting on the wall was a cricket/grasshopper/locust that was--and I kid you not--a good 5" in length from proboscis to butt. When Steve creeped up to take a closer look it started flying around again and banged into Steve! Now, he's bold, but there's a point when a man turns into a squealing 6-year old girl! *snicker* Ok, he didn't squeal, but he sure did yell. I would too if a monster-movie insect got into my hair and smacked into me! We did manage to take a picture; I'm only sad we didn't have a coin in the image so you could see exactly how enormous this guy was!


Here's the monster insect to scream at!

No comments:

Post a Comment