Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Reality Check!

I just love this line from one of my all-time favorite movies, Mister Roberts: James Cagney has absolutely lost it over something Henry Fonda does and yells at the top of his lungs to the miserable crew of the USS Reluctant, "SOUND THE GENERAL ALARM!" (click on the link to hear Cagney in all of his glory, but better yet, RENT THE MOVIE, it's quite possibly my favorite movie!)

I woke up today and realized that a month and a day has passed since I stopped playing WoW, and you know what? I have very little to show for it. Yes, I learned how to use InDesign and I'm going through a Photoshop tutorial...I built a website mockup, I designed a pamphlet, and I did many hours of copywriting for the website we're doing for our veterinarian too.

But let's face it. If my ass was kicked to the curb...could I get a job as a graphic or web designer? NFW*. I have no current portfolio. My skills are still weak from not using them for 5 years. I lack the confidence to march in like I usually do and just TAKE any job I want. That makes me feel really uncomfortable and worried.

I think this hit me over the past couple of days as I was working on my "About Me" page for our upcoming website. I cobbled together my resume and I think what happened was that it finally hit me that we need to get our asses into gear, NOW. Our original plan was to do our veterinarian's website and then immediately get another one going, and then fairly soon after that, we'd be advertising on Craig's List and getting our foot in the door. But our vet is very flakey and we've just been schlepping along, me much moreso than Steve. He's actually been learning TONS of stuff and getting more confident and skilled every day. But me?

I'm a Blogging Junkie! *cringe* It may be a little better than WoW, but come on. I've been wasting valuable time.

So today Steve and I talked and we came up with a very good plan to build our website portfolio in the next couple of weeks.

I guess it's a good plan because I have a new website all mocked up and so does Steve! YAYYYY!!! I feel a LOT better. I'm going to try to get a new website mock up done every day or at most, two days, so that we'll have a bunch of them to add to our portfolio and within a couple of weeks, we'll have something to show people and we can advertise on Craig's List! If we want to get out of our failing business, we need to get our butts into gear!! We're so excited that we're finally moving forward again!

*No Fucking Way

1 comment:

  1. The road to WoW addiction is long...it sucks the life out of us. The road back is long too. I'm in the same boat as you...not much to show for the last 4.5 years. Getting back on my feet is priority and its tough, but its doable.

    ReplyDelete